In 1683, William Penn purchased from the Lenni Lenape Indians land lying between the Pennypack and Neshaminy Creeks including what is now Northampton Township. Dutch and French immigrants followed the original English settlers.
Many of the Dutch settled in the southeastern corner of the township in what came to be called “Holland”. Churchville was originally called “Smoketown” because of the Dutch custom of smoking long clay pipes.
Probably named for the old city of Northampton in England, our Northampton, in 1722, became one of the largest townships in Bucks County. Taverns followed new roads and commerce. The Black Bear Tavern, at 2nd Street and Bustleton Pikes, and the White Bear Tavern, at 2nd Street Pike and Almshouse, were typical. Democrats met at the White Bear; Republicans met at the Black Bear.
The first of many schools in Northampton was built in 1737, and the Addisville Reformed Church, founded by the Dutch in 1710, is the oldest church.
Locally prominent families included the Cornells, whose farm on Holland Road was painted by Edward Hicks, and Henry Wynkoop, who was a delegate to the Third Provincial Congress in Philadelphia, and was elected to the first U.S. Congress in 1789.
Northampton Township today covers an area of approximately 26 square miles and has a population of about 40,000. The Township elects one representative to the State Assembly In its changing form, from rural to a growing population center, the Township has faced the tasks of self-definition. Only through a clear understanding of where we are going can Northampton realize its full potential, beginning with the question of land use such as preservation of historic sites, protection of natural resources, housing, school needs, and economic development.
The Northampton Township Democratic Committee is prepared to accept these challenges.